Thursday, November 25, 2010

Let's play pretend

I'm here at work, because I seeded a new cell line, and it has to be babied.  Don't worry about what that means specifically.  The point is, I'm looking out my window of beautiful snowflakes (a nice surprise for Thanksgiving day in my region), and wondering, "How in the world did I end up in molecular biology?"  In the proper alternate universe, I am a performer, whose creativity, joy and talent are shared with the world.
I guess it's possible that everyone has this dream.  Although, my boss told me she wanted to be an astronaut.  But her mother did not think that was a sensible career choice, and so she is now a biophysicist / cancer researcher.  And I'm a lab mitschlepper.
So where to go from here?  Well, I do have several viable paths at the moment.  I have been learning tribal belly dance for over three years, and the studio has many performance opportunities throughout the year.  But for a couple of reasons, including modesty and scheduling, this does not seem like the best option.  Still, I do love being able to dance with friends once a week, so in a way, this is already a performance outlet of a limited nature.
Another vehicle is guitar, but this is still in the works, since all I can play right now is "Ode to Joy", "Minuet in G" (first half) and "This Land is Your Land".  I am very close to having "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", and can kinda play the the Harry Potter theme and the chords to Beatles' "Your Mother Should Know".  I have been learning along with a child who is taking real lessons.  I would really like to be able to play stuff for friends in my living room, and have them sing along.  One hundred years ago it was expected that people would use their talents to entertain others in their loving rooms.  I went to a college with a well-respected conservatory, and there were students playing music all the time, in scheduled performances, as well as just impromptu sessions in the dorms, out on the grass, etc.  A visiting friend once said "It's like Fame." That was an overstatement, but still I think of just taking out a musical instrument and playing as totally normal.   Alas, I was too sort-sighted to actually take any music classes myself.
I gave a couple cake-decorating lessons a few years back.  That was immensely enjoyable.  I know it doesn't seem like performance art, but it was to me.  The obstacle here is the great deal of preparation, mainly all by myself, and I just don't have the time or energy at this moment.
When I was in junior high, it seems we would spend whole afternoons together putting on silly little skits.This was definitely one of my favorite activities.  By high school, playing skits was less acceptable, but going to the mall with my best friend and modeling all the prom gowns was a hit.  I think at this stage, finding some like minded friends and saying "Hey Judy and Mickey, lets clean out your garage and put on a show!" is the least realistic option.  Slightly ahead of that may be trying to arrange a standing role-playing game, but only slightly, as I have never heard any of my circle mention any desire for such a thing.  Am I wrong?  If anyone would like to come on over to play pretend, or dance or sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame, or listen to me recite Lady Macbeth's soliloquy, stop on by, the door is always open, even if I have to pry it open.

No comments:

Post a Comment