Sunday, February 26, 2012

Well Hello There


I'm at work on Sunday again because, well I don't know why.  But I would hate for that last post to be the first impression anyone has of the blog.  Not that I really dislike the post, but it is kinda whiny, and the artsy tone is very much an anomaly.

I went out with movie buddy last Saturday night.  I was actually hoping to find a play or concert to go to, but somehow the pickin's in this burg were very slim this month.  What a disappointment.  So we ended up in the local multi-plex, scanning the listings...studying the listings...praying that we had overlooked something in the listings, because there was NOTHING we wanted to see (especially since I am NEVER wasting my time with another 3D veiwing).  So we went to the least objectionable offering: Woman in Black.

Now, I need to say that I do not watch horror movies, because I am a little frightened rabbit.  I learned this through the few low-level B horror movies I saw as a kid, and the time there was some "Tale of Two Cities" on TV.  The "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies came out right when I was in junior high, and everyone wanted to tell me about them, because my name is very similar to one of the characters. But it's not just homicidal-lunitic flicks that I avoid - as I said, "Tale of Two Cities"was too upsetting.  I don't watch movies about comets hurtling towards earth, orcs abducting children through bedroom closets, or aliens who travel the galaxy to ravage lush, weak planets.  In fact when "Independence Day" was in theaters, a friend invited me to go to the movie with her, and I really, terribly need a night out.  I told her I would go, but I was going to look away and cover my ears anytime an alien sighting seemed likely, and she would have to poke me to let me know when it was safe to watch again.  She thought I was joking.  She mis-poked once, I got a full-frontal view of the squid-like beings.  I had trouble sleeping the next few nights, had to keep thinking "imagine they are Star Wars aliens, imagine they are Star Wars aliens..." 

But I was out with movie buddy, and we had to see SOMETHING.  "Well, I will turn my head away. And movie buddy is big and strong, maybe that presence will make me feel more secure.  I don't know.  God, please help me here; I want to spend an evening out without paying for it in sleepless nights".  Okay - no more suspense, I had a good time, and with almost no bad after-effects.  This was the silliest movie I have been to in a long time.  The people behind us were completely obnoxious, talking through the whole thing, just as we were, which did a lot to lighten the mood as well.  The movie might as well have been called "Harry Potter VIII."  I do NOT recommend this movie, it was dumb as dumb, but I was so pleased.

I'm now realizing that the last time I gave a great review, it was for Super-8, another stupid (but, unlike "Woman in Black," immensely enjoyable) horror-movie.  And I really liked the latest Terminator movie, and I saw that alone.  What can I say?   My favorite movies are "It's a Wonderful Life."  and "This is Spinal Tap."  I would pick a movie with interesting, funny dialog over almost anything else, except maybe great fun musicals.  But thrilling is sometimes fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment