Wednesday, September 17, 2014

More of the same


Because we live in bizarre coincidence world, mine is the block of divorcees.  I certainly wouldn't have chosen that, it wasn't when I moved in - one family was still together when I came, and one women moved back to her parents house after I was already in my place.  Don't get me wrong, it is a lovely block, and I'm glad to be there; I just wonder if it is perceived by others as the divorcee street (although I don't think any of us has finalized the divorce yet.) 

I was thinking this because I look at the other two women and think deep in my head, "Are you really sure?  You need to try harder. This just isn't right, is it?" I realize I have no business to think I know what really goes on in their lives, but still, this is what I think. And I then wonder, "How many people still think that about me? What do my close allies think? I know I was right to leave; do they?"

I was looking outside today, just thinking about nothing, and remembering a calm phone conversation with my mother this week.  For years before I left the wasband, every conversation with my mother quickly became heated, with me explaining how unhappy I was all the time, and that I couldn't absorb any more negative feelings. Toward the very end, I couldn't stay on the phone with her more than a few minutes.  Soon after I left, my mother started telling me how much better I sounded, not so unhappy and explosive.  Then later, she marveled that we would actually have pleasant phone calls.  Now she almost takes it for granted - I am happy with life, or at least content most of the time. I know she never questioned the separation - which was a happy surprise to me at first - because she felt how toxic the marriage was to me.

Eh, probably most people are too busy with their own lives to think about mine. Still, I want to ask those close friends. But what would it serve? - if they say they know it was good I left, I will wonder if they are being sincere, and if they say I was wrong, I will think they are blind and slow-witted. 
******************************************************************************
Okay, time to get sukkah stuff.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment