Thursday, December 8, 2011

Beading

Here is one of the things I'm feeling good about - beading jewelry to sell at the Chanukkah Bazaars.




Most of these were photographed with my phone.  I still can't figure out how to upload from my camera.
Wish me luck at the bazaar.

By the way: someone said she hated seeing girls wearing these, unaware that they are "slave bracelets, " that it is an ugly message.  The response I didn't think of until too late:  it gives me the "willies" watching kids play on a see-saw, but I don't think it would be a good thing to do away with them just because they originated with a public homicide instrument; let it be used for something positive today.  I don't mean to degrade the original complaint about the bracelets, just that I think it is fine here to take something that has origins in the negative to use today for the positive.  There is nothing inherently offensive or immodest about the bracelet, and I don't think it is dishonoring women from the past or harming women today to claim this design for ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment