Thursday, December 27, 2012

Walls

 Hey, I painted my kitchen wall.  Actually, did it 2 weeks ago, over Chanukah.


I just did one accent wall (because it was easier, cheaper, cool, and quicker to paint back if my landlord disapproves).  I especially wanted to make a more definite separation between the kitchen and "dining area", which kind of blur together in this apartment.  The color always looks darker on the wall than on the sample chip, and it came out pinker that I thought, but really I am quite pleased.  This was one (heavy) coat of medium gloss paint.  I let it dry overnight, then added the decals.  There used to be a product called "wallies", made out of wall paper material, with water-soluble paste on the back, but I couldn't find those in any local stores.  The decals are pretty, and very easy to move, but slightly harder to work with since they are thinner, and just don't look as professional - if you look close at all, you can see they are stickers.  So I put them up relatively high instead of in the middle of the wall, or down along the side, as I originally intended.  Still, I am, again, pleased with the effect.

I really should have asked the landlord first, I just didn't even think about it.  Now I am hesitant to do more renovations without asking, but hesitant to ask, since I already painted a wall.  Oh well, I'm gonna see what more renovations I can do of the completely impermanent kind.  I bought a bookshelf off Craig's List yesterday - hideous, but practically free ($15). I actually saw 2 of the SAME ITEM for sale, both listed as in excellent condition, but didn't fit in with the owners' decor. 

I was hoping it would fit in my large closet, but it just misses. so now I am trying to decide 1) whether to put it up and where and 2) whether to try to buy shorter planks to replace these the long ones that came with it. Then I would need to borrow a drill and such, unless it fits Home Depot or Lowes pre-drilled shelf planks, which is not such a crazy thought. 

Totally random thought - when by oldest son was very little, he was friends with a granddaughter of  the Home Depot founder (technically, one of the 2 founders) and we joked about him marrying into the Home Depot dynasty. One of the many alternate realities that don't appear to be my own.

I really wanted to write about thoughts on the looming prospect of DATING.  But I changed my mind, and did something easier, so I can now go home and cook for shabbos.  But, maybe next time...
.

No comments:

Post a Comment