Friday, January 4, 2013

Hate these positive affirmation type posts

If my FB friends are any indication of "average", we are all getting a ton of these "share"s daily:
This one is not particularly good or bad, in fact it is totally average.  Everytime I bother to read one, I am filled with the desire to yell back "AS IF!!!!"

I can't ignore the people in my life who treat me poorly or I would lose my job, be unable to arrange for my kids, etc. 
I can't control my brain to the extent that I am able to wake up without regrets, just because someone says so.

I LOVE people who at the moment don't treat me right, and hope I always will - do you dump children, parents, long time friends who treat you poorly?  CHILDREN AND PARENTS???

I can't take every chance I get to change my life - I HAVE PEOPLE DEPENDENT ON ME, CHILDREN DEPENDENT ON ME.

Blah Blah Blah.  Just shut up already....

And then, if I can at least say I am trying to change things as far as an untenable marriage, the next post I come to will be some dumb affirmation about how every marriage takes work, did you work at yours? blah blah blah.

And do I need this???:
Okay, yeah for you whoever posted this.

Man, I sound like Moe Sislak.

I just read about the first half of Augusten Burroughs "This is How".  I had never heard of him before.  As I said, I only got half way through before I returned it to the library.  But I liked a lot of it, probably because I already agreed with so much, especially that Positive affirmation are not helpful if you are not already positive.  I also liked the part about radical change vs suicide, much better than the lame poster advice "if you get a chance - take it."  But as I said above, I have children depending on me at the moment, and so I have opted for neither.  Okay, go read it if you want, I gotta clean for shabbos.


No comments:

Post a Comment