Monday, January 21, 2013

Saturday Night Out

 http://pooroldshine.wordpress.com/

Took oldest son out to a concert last Saturday night.  The venue was this teeny space inside a house in a quiet neighborhood, down the street from his friends' house.  When I asked my son if he wanted to go, he asked, "Have you seen that place?  It's just a house!"
"Yes, I've been to a performance once or twice - it's a real theater, just very tiny."

The band performing was "Poor Old Shine," who describe their music as Roots/American.  There were some standards mixed with, I believe, original compositions.  And they were great.  I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did.  I would not say I am a big fan of roots, bluegrass, folk.  But these guys (the girl was not there?) were so full of excitement, talent and showmanship that it was impossible not to get into the rhythm, especially when we were in such a cozy space.

And yet my son's face stayed blank and he barely applauded.  I asked several times, "Are you enjoying this?"
"Ehh..."
"Do you want to leave?"
"No."
But he must have had a good time.  He watched intently as the band played, he said he was impressed with the mandolin player. 
He went up during intermission to talk to the bass player, and after the concert, my son (who taught himself guitar, bass and a bit of key board in the last 1 1/2 years) played on the upright bass himself for a little bit, while talking more with the musician.  And finally, I saw the beautiful big smile on his face.  My heart melted.  Can a child ever understand how much his smile is worth to his parent?  I still can't get it into my head how callous I am to be stingy with happy words to my mother.

I wanted to include a "Zits" cartoon, on "interpreting your child's facial expressions" : 20 panels, with assorted emotions as captions, and all with the same blank facial expression.  But I got this instead, which makes the point almost as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment