Wednesday, April 24, 2013

As Good As It Gets?


Quick Post: my emotional high didn't even last until the middle of the week:  with the additional costs of this "normal" apartment, I'm steadily losing money every month, and it looks like I will totally out of cash in about 8 months, and that is not counting in summer daycare costs, which will eat up at least 4 months of buffer cash.  Plus all my stockings and shoes now have holes (no exaggeration), and my two good bras snapped their underwire in two consecutive weeks, and the rest of my clothes are years old (no exaggeration, some are decades old), and not doing much better.  then one of the boys is spending hours each evening with the wasband doing his homework, and I don't understand why.  Between going to shul, swimming, and carpool (because the wasband got to keep the minivan, while I had to BUY myself a new tiny hatchback) he has them at least 25% of MY WEEKS!  And I going crazy and crying to the kids how sad it all is and how pathetic is my lot.  and I said I would never burden my kids with my worries, and now they are both on edge every time they need to buy anything.  And pushing the divorce along, which is more necessary than ever, but will make everything so hard in the short run - and then my oldest son will hate me even more... too much.

And I borrowed As Good As It Gets from the library (never saw it before).  Fantastic movie: weakest plot ever, and who cares, as the plot is just a vehicle to play with some really wonderfully entertaining acting, even from the dog. (although Hunt's attempt at a Brooklyn accent was so poorly directed, and kept going in and out and was mostly a distraction, and the "model" and his cronies were awful start to finish) and to deliver some great lines. 

The two strongest lines for me (which anyone could guess), were Melvin's encapsulations of two faces of depression: the envy of "Not everyone has horrible stories...You're pissed that they had good stories, pretty stories, and noodle salad;" and the complete hopelessness of "Maybe this is as good as it gets."

And here's a kicker I think I was relieved that the ending didn't do much for me - Carol shouldn't end up with Melvin, this is not a beautiful, romantic outcome.  And if she did end up with a perfect guy I would hate it, because it would make me feel even more hopeless and envious...
 
Hey, go to my Etsy store ThousandAndOneBeads , and tell all your friends - I need the money!  Credit card acceptability coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment