Sunday, June 23, 2013

Little Miss Sunshine

Best movie ever.


Okay, I haven't seen every movie ever made, and I think It's a Wonderful Life and This Is Spinal Tap are still my favorites, but I think Little Miss Sunshine is the most powerful movie experience I ever had.  The characters are so flawed and awful and unpleasant together, and they are SO terribly familiar, and they ultimately have such strong love for each other, and I love them all.  It all hit me so hard, and I want so much to watch this movie with my oldest son, and I don't want him to think I'm preaching to him, but I want it to hit him hard too.  Goodness.  Maybe we should just watch Bambi (which I just now realize my kids never did because the wasband adopted the "no non-kosher animals with the kids" stringency).

I should review it in more detail, but basically what I want to say is what I said above.  It was a bit too hard with stereotypes,  the resolutions came too fast, and the language got really too vulgar occasionally, and a couple of the lines were just painfully unbelievable; but it was funny and sad and beautiful, the acting was fantastic, the characters downfalls were heartbreaking, and the love was equally heartbreaking.

Similar to As Good As It Gets, which I just watched and reviewed, I probably enjoyed this movie so much, in part, because no one get a particularly good ending.  Somewhat ironic that this movie shares an actor with As Good As It Gets, but such a different character, I didn't even realize until I watched Little Miss Sunshine for the 4th time.  And I did watch this movie 4 times in one week, before I had to return it to the library.

It has been a terrible week - did I mention?
I spent shabbos staring at the reflection in the mirror yell at me to be logical and just ______ myself; well I won't print it, for legal concerns mostly - but I haven't been this depressed in about 2 years.

And I found a name for the autobiographically novel I have no inclination to write: Ceres in Decline. Not sure why I chose the roman name instead of Greek, more elegant to the American ear.  Anyway, the little boys are away this week, and it is dark and cold and I am not able to get up from mourning.

But I did write a more lucid post...

No comments:

Post a Comment