Sunday, June 3, 2012

This week's epiphany


This is one of the wasband's favorite comic strips:
Actually, he never reads comics, so he must have heard me reading it to the kids, but anyway, it always made him laugh. The wasband is big into lists, unlike your blogger.

This weekend started awfully: just another case of the wasband pulling out the worst in me.  End of story, I was without the boys for shabbos, feeling cheated and disgusted and all kinds sorry for myself.  As I came home Friday afternoon, I have a flash of how many things the wasband DID NOT manage to take away from me. 

This was like suddenly understanding the expression "to find yourself."  I would imagine most teenagers have very little understanding of this idea, though they are told that this is a possible benefit of college or the postponement of college for several years.  So too, one is advised to think about all the things wasbands [cancer/ financial crises/ adversaries in general] cannot take away from one.  (I'm reading "The Uncommon Reader", and it makes me want to use the pronoun "one".)

Shall I give an abbreviated list?  Okay, these are some things that are actually on the upswing since last summer:

  • Shul attendance
  • Lovely shabbatot in general
  • Connections with friends
  • Connections with family
  • Exercise/ frolicking with the little guys
  • Desire to get out of bed most mornings (well, I think it is most. not this morning, but most mornings)

I feel that I have to say, he DID take away a whole lot, not even considering the material items.  I can't get beyond that wall of awful.  But occasionally I can turn my gaze to the other direction.

Here's a twofer - An ironic list of annoying things the wasband used to that I have found myself doing this year:

  • Going to the library multiple times per week, borrowing up to the limit
  • Keeping Granola bars in the car for kiddie snacks
  • Using minty liquid soap in the shower (mine is a nicer brand though)
  • Taking kids out to do "stuff" in the evenings
  • Shopping at pricier grocery stores (but I don't enjoy this, it's just that along with the pricier neighborhood comes the pricier stores)


No comments:

Post a Comment