Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Watchin' some more TV - character studies



The library just got AbFab, so I just saw the first 3 episodes.  I don't know if I will watch much more.  I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I can't understand the Britishisms.  Plus, its a little too frenetic and physical-comedy oriented for me.  I don't find Patsy's character very amusing (which is ironic, since the only thing I knew about the series is that it starred Joanna Lumley), and the daughter is too perfect.  I do like Edy's character, probably more then the writers intended.  Even when she is horribly self-indulgent, I find her very sympathetic.  I think her essence is summarized in a fabulous line she delivers in the 3rd episode, "France".  Eddy and Patsy are mistakenly vacationing in a little cottage in a small village in France.  Edy's daughter, Saffron, says that she likes the cottage, it is so quiet and pretty and peaceful.  Edy agrees, "I should enjoy it, but I can't.  It's like some great cosmic secret that no one let me in on."  So I guess I want her to "win", and it is disappointing that every week, she just misses.

So I put in some "Friends" collection that I was given.  I generally enjoy "Friends", especially Matt LaBlanc and Matthew Perry.  There are so many great lines, it is a shame that the writers put in so many cheap sex jokes.  SO MANY, EVERY SINGLE STORY.   But in between are some really clever lines.  I saw some episodes I never watched before, and it crystallized:  I hate Rachel.  Why in the world would fans want Ross to get back together with this nasty, selfish, shallow baby?  Am I missing some amazing transformation somewhere, where Rachel realizes "Hey, I'm to blame for all the problems with Ross.  And I have cost him so much lost happiness. What can I do to make it up to him?" 

Okay, well I'm just at work to gather some boxes - life is moving on.  Imagine how fast things could move if I would stop watching so much TV.

Oh, a little post scrip to the No Recognition post a few days back:  I went and watched that Seinfeld episode, "Butter Shave", and it is amazing how in-sync I really was with it - George actually says that he gets "no recognition".  And even better - just as I started the blog by saying I wanted to take a break from "Sweet Pro's" world, "Butter Shave" opens with Jerry and George sporting mustaches because they had spent that summer "taking a vaction from ourselves."  Ironic, funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment