Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Discovery of the Summer...

...is that I do not like being a supervisor.  I think that is the major thing I am learning in the lab this summer.  I can't get anything done because people are forever coming over to me - which is what they are supposed to do, but it is still hard on me.  Several of these people have never worked in a lab before, and unless I give them a specific job to do, they just have to sit around.  Another person is a grad student, who, I'm sure, resents that I have been asked to watch over her.  Plus I'm one of the only two people in the lab who has the authority to order supplies through the new (I hate it!) web-based ordering system, so I have to stop what I'm doing every few minutes to order something.  So I'm getting almost nothing done on my own.  These underlings better have some results for me by the end of the summer!  Wouldn't you love to have me as a supervisor?
P.S. I tried to find a link to the "Life in Hell" strip about the 9 types of bosses, but couldn't find it - go do it on your own, that is a strong suggestion from this supervisor.
http://www.amazon.com/Work-Hell-Matt-Groening/dp/0394748646
Click to open the book, then search for:  bosses.

No comments:

Post a Comment