Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Where have all the comics gone?

I intended to share my recurring nightmare, but I wanted to show, or at least link to, a great Sylvia cartoon.  But I can't find any Sylvia archives before 2001.  Then I thought about a Cathy I wanted to link to for another post idea - same deal, no archives before 2001, and even those are hard to get to.  And neither has any kind of subject search capabilities like the Dilbert site.  And remember the post a little while back where I had to tell you to link to amazon to get a Life in Hell strip?Has every cartoon publisher become Web copyright wacko, and taken all free copies off any archive sites?  I'm very upset about this.  In conversations with my kids,  I'm always referring to some strip.  And the best part is that, since the kids have read all my cartoon collections until the books are falling apart, they know which strip I'm thinking of before I even quote it.  That is supercool.

So what should I do now?  Scan the cartoon strip?  That would be copyright infringement, except that I'm not writing this for profit.

http://sluggy.com/images/comics/970825a.gif

In the mean time, anyone who hasn't heard of Sluggy Freelance, check it out.  I actually haven't read it steadily in years.  But I read it daily from about '98 - '01.  Make your way past the first couple boring weeks and it moves quickly to hysterical.

No comments:

Post a Comment