Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Another obvious analogy - more thoughts on the separation

I was talking with my friend yesterday, one of the very few to whom I share everything going on with the wasband.  I talked about particular things that still really send me into depression when dealing with him.  I told my friend that I am scared to move forward because of possible retaliation, since the wasband is still doing things that hurt me.  She reminded me that this is the same behavior he had before that separation, so why should I be more worried about it now?  Just keep moving forward.  She is correct, yet I am still scared.

I was talking with her yesterday particularly to let her know my surgery had gone well - I had varicose veins removed (actually burnt in place).  When the vascular surgeon first proposed this, I had no intention of going through with the surgery.  Most people thought I should obviously have the veins removed, but I thought, "I only have one body!  What if I close off these veins, and then can't reroute the blood flow, and  never have proper circulation in my legs?  I shouldn't mess around with this."  But eventually I came to the idea,"I have these useless veins that are NOT circulating the blood.  If they are now open and not helping with circulation, what is the difference if I have them CLOSED and not helping with circulation, except that I will hopefully have the benefit of less blood pooled in my leg and less chance of thrombosis?  So I kept the appointment, had the veins closed.

So, you see: if my wasband was harmful and not helpful IN my life in the last few years, harmful and not helpful in the last few months, why should I be so worried about putting him farther OUT of my life in my future? 

1 comment:

  1. what an analogy: husband=varicose veins! Hey, whatever works to clear one's thinking!

    ReplyDelete