Thursday, November 24, 2011


This weekend, I had a couple meals out with newish friends.  They all seemed to be really lovely people, I like sharing their company,  but this occasion was just not fun.  The meal turned in to a political party love-fest, and not for the party that I support.  It did not seem judicious to try to argue anything, as my debate skills are terrible, and no one would be convinced even if I was a brilliant speaker.

That sounds awfully pessimistic, doesn't it?  And I feel that pessimistic.  Today on Facebook, one friend posted how terrible is Walmart for abusing their workers, and another friend responded how wonderful is Walmart to supply so many jobs.  They could go back and forth all day, and neither one would budge one inch.  It is true, that if I was with the freinds with whom I agree, we could rant for hours, and I would enjoy getting to rant, but I acknowledge it would be to no purpose. One side is Polyannaish and lazy, the other side selfish and mean-spirited, or at least that is what the opponents would say.  And add stupid masses to both sides.

It's a bummer.  And I sometimes wish I didn't care so much. 

When I was a freshman in college, early in the year, I was speaking casually with one of the faculty.  He asked me what my plans were.  I said something like "I'm waiting for someone to grab hold of me and brainwash me."  I think we both knew I was only half joking.  Luckily or not, I don't think it happened - I never found anyone so convincing that I agreed with his whole platform.  Or at least, I can't think of anyone with whom I agree completely. hmmm?

 My overall impression from this weekend was that people who are so engrossed in politics believe that the rest of the world is as consumed as they are, and so of course they believe in these conspiracies.  If everyone's main focus is who is in power, then everyone would be working to get power over to his own side.  But I think the great majority of the world is mainly concerned with keeping body and soul together, and maybe sharing in a few comforts, with little thought to controlling the rest of the population.

Okay I'm a Pollyanna.  Was it really that hard to guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment