Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How to let go?

The wasband gave me a reprieve over Passover from the constant barrage of "more stuff".  But this week, he again emptied bags and boxes of mostly garbage onto the sidewalk next to my car (he carries it around with him so he can do this whenever he finds me, no kidding).  I did point out, fairly calmly, the boxes of true junk equally owned by the two of us, and told him I would not be responsible for disposing of it.  But the bag of clothes - obviously old run-down stuff he finally picked up from the laundry room floor, as he cleaned for/from Passover - I accepted, along with some assorted odd-and-ends from the garden - which was definitely MY project, as explained previously . Actually, I didn't so much "accept it", as slump down like I had lost all muscle control and start to cry.  Then I threw the stuff in the car, and drove off without doing any of the chores I had planned.  I went home and ate and ate and ate (luckily it was mostly the produce I have left from the holiday), and watched hours of videos.

I went back to the 1st season of Frasier, and the end of the very first episode clearly reflected my situation.  The finish of the pilot episode features a call from a woman (voice of Linda Hamilton) who broke up with her boyfriend eight months ago (*eight months ago!) but cannot stop grieving.  Frasier shares the "Lupe Valez" anecdote, telling the woman that she is in mourning for "what she thought her life would be," and advising her that she needs to "let it go."
 



Okay, this is obviously good advice, as far as it goes, but HOW DOES ONE LET GO?  HOW DO *I* LET GO?  It doesn't just happen because you say it will, anymore then the average person can just lose weight but saying "okay, now I will lose weight."  The clearest answer to both is "get yourself good professional help."  But at the moment I haven't the time or resources...

I'm gonna stop here.  I not really that bad, most of the time.  But it is still too hard sometimes, and I am really bad at giving up ideals - a topic for another day.  Right now I have to pick up the videos the libraryis holding for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment