Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hats (and gloves) again

I love hats.  LOVE.  I always planned to wear hats as an adult, never was really excited about wigs.  For the first ** years of married life, I was too intimidated to wear hats much, I'm sure glad I got over that.  Living in the other neighborhood last year, going to a shul full of hats helped a lot.

Over the holidays, I pulled out some new hats, as well as some older ones.  The new ones came from a woman who was giving away much of her collection.  I only took two: one black with a down-slanting brim, very chic, and the second sort of a rolled-brim leopard-print tam (probably the first leopard print ANYTHING I have ever chosen).  I love the look of both with my holiday clothes.

One of the older ones was from the Renaissance Faire.
Mine is similar in shape to these, in plum velvet, with gauffered ginko leaves.  It is a great hat, gorgeous, but huge, so I don't wear it too often.


Ladies, there is nothing wrong with wigs, but don't you want to do something fancy once in a while??  Even when I go to weddings now, I try to put something in my "hair" - flowers, a facinator, a big barrette.  But why am I even starting on this, with a crowd that overwhelmingly wear black suits to weddings??

Anyway, for the present, I'm keeping my hair long, making more snoods, and collecting hats as I find them.

As for gloves - I need some.  I have a terrible habit of playing with my nail, creating hangnails, and generally doing all kinds bad stuff to my fingers on shabbos.  I can't put on moisturizer, my skin is dry, and I don't even realize what I'm doing until the skin around my nails is a painful mess.  It popped into my head this Yom Kippur, that I should wear some little cotton gloves.  So I am on the look-out for nice, plain cotton gloves (is it even possible to still find kid gloves?).  My first round looking on the internet turns up mostly slutty halloween stuff, followed by slutty "bridal" or "prom" stuff.  Sears has gloves, but they look like the things worn by toll-booth operators.  I'll try to let you know if I find anything - let me know if you have a lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment