Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 32

206.6

How?  I haven't had any grand consumption lately.  Truly! Maybe I never really lost any serious weight, it was all just monthly cyclical shifts.  Ugh, ugh, ugh...

Well, it got me out and walking around, but the unhappy truth is that only way for me to really see change is either significant increase in activity, or SOMEHOW getting myself into starvation mode again, which I only succeeded in twice in my life, and once it came as a result of serious illness.

So I guess I'm gonna go do something active now.

but first, the wedding...

Let me say that I came away from the wedding with almost exclusively good feelings for everyone I saw there.  Overflowing good feeling.  I think it is the most comfortable I have been, at any family function, for years.  I wish I had been able to spend more time with everyone.   I tried to let everyone know that I REALLY AND TRULY want to get together more often.

the main thing I wanted to talk about though, was the schism in adherence to halachah (religious observance), often dividing between the generations. Not hostile, for the most part, although it is amazing how the older generation continues, after years and years, to say "You're not going to eat anything?! You could have soemthing!"  Some of my older relatives, whom I thought were somewhat adherent to kashrut, had no interest in ascertaining the status of the food (although a moment's observation would have made it clear there was no chance that anything was kosher).  For good or bad, there was no chattering about the halachic elephant in room.  Well, not while we were in the reception hall anyway.  One conversation with a cousin about the respective tshuvahs we were given concerning attending the event... Thank goodness the cousin given the tshuvah that he couldn't attend, couldn't have made it anyway for other reasons.

1 comment:

  1. Starvation mode rarely works. But you know what does? Large lunches and small (or no) dinners. It is ridiculous how fast there are results.

    ReplyDelete